Historic Grant

WARF’s impact extends over decades, stretches across campus and beyond

Grants to UW–Madison

(as of June 30, 2016)
Grants to UW–Madison
(Not adjusted for inflation)
The strength of WARF's technology transfer operations and investment performance has contributed to long-term growth in funding for the university. WARF provides funds to UW–Madison through annual grants as well as special grants when financial performance allows.

The success of WARF’s licensing efforts and portfolio management has enabled the annual and special grant disbursements to the university and affiliated organizations (other than the Morgridge Institute) to increase from $1,200 in 1928 to $85 million today.

In addition to our base grant to the university, which has increased steadily, our grants to UW–Madison include the department share, which is determined by annual licensing revenues and therefore fluctuates from year to year; additional grants, which support programs like the Cluster Hire Initiative and D2P; and special grants, which are recommended by WARF and UW–Madison leaders and provided in fiscal years during which we achieve extraordinary operating results.

Grants to Morgridge

(as of June 30, 2016)
Grants to Morgridge
(Not adjusted for inflation)
Beginning with fiscal year 2009, WARF also has provided startup funding for the Morgridge Institute for Research, a private, nonprofit institute that works to improve human health by conducting, enabling and translating interdisciplinary biomedical research in collaboration with UW–Madison.

Over time, WARF's historic grants have helped fund major building projects, renovations, land acquisition and the purchase of costly equipment needed to enhance the competitiveness of the university's scientific infrastructure. The map below highlights the impact of WARF's historic grants since 1938, when WARF provided money to construct the Biochemistry building.

Recent projects include work on the second tower of the Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research and construction of the Discovery Building.