Animals, Agriculture & Food
Calcium-Rich Snap Bean Genotype
Inventors: James Nienhuis, Juan Manuel Quintana, Michell Eileen Sass
The Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) is seeking commercial partners interested in a snap bean with increased calcium content.
Increased calcium intake is recommended for pregnant women, senior citizens and adolescents.
UW-Madison researchers have now developed a snap bean cultivar with high calcium content in the pods. Snap bean pods from this line contain approximately 20 percent more calcium than other common snap bean cultivars.
- Provides a snap bean with increased calcium content
- May help lower the rate of osteoporosis
- Calcium should be more bioavailable than that found in supplements.
- Provides relatively inexpensive source of calcium
- Plant displays similar agronomic traits to other fresh market snap bean cultivars.
- Snap beans are popular with adolescents.
- Attractive to organic farmers and home gardeners due to superior nutritional content
For More Information About the Inventors